Wednesday, September 26, 2012

One Ring to Rule Them All - Low Cal Bacon, Egg & Cheese Ring

Breakfast isn't really a big deal in our house. We almost always eat the same things for breakfast over and over again and inevitably I say to myself, "Self, can't we have something better?"

If you too have come to realize the facts of life (not the Miss Garrett & Tootie variety) you know that breakfast foods are usually heavy on the delicious and even heavier on the calories. Thankfully, many a health nut has tried to remedy this with swaps and solutions. I'm about to combine a few of those to create today's recipe...



Don't actually slap ya mama...please

The Low Cal Bacon, Egg & Cheese Ring

Serves: 8 (or 4...be honest with yourself. You're going to eat at least two)
Time: Approx. 30 minutes
Per Serving Stats: (For 8)
   Calories - 142
   Carbs- 11g
   Fat- 9g
  

WHAT YOU NEED

1 Can of crescent rolls
Shredded Cheese (.5 cup)
Turkey Bacon (3 slices)
Egg Whites (4 eggs)
Seasoning for your tastes

Notes: 

I used Slap Ya Mama seasoning. It's from Ville Platte, Louisiana and I love it. It's probably not easy to find outside of Louisiana but you can also use other Cajun seasonings you can find. It's high in sodium so I just sprinkled it over the egg whites. A little goes a long way, but for this girl's southern palate I need a little more than salt and pepper. If you're watching your sodium intake may I suggest Mrs. Dash seasonings. No salt, but still really good.  

Turkey bacon is the only kind of bacon we buy. Somewhere along the line Husband informed me that turkey is a superior meat and that's how we we've been operating since. 




WHAT YOU DO

1) Preheat the oven based on the crescent roll can directions. 


2) Start scrambling and seasoning the egg whites.

Steps 3-7. 
     I did not have the little milk carton egg whites. I had 4 eggs that were days away from going bad. I cracked them and fished out the yolks. It's a little lame but it works. 

     I'm not going to go into detail about how I scrambled my egg whites. I was taught to scramble eggs by my father who grew up on a farm in Iowa. You would think that he would be a master egg scrambler. Negative. He cracked his eggs, put them in a bowl, stirred them briskly with a fork and then nuked them in the microwave. DO. NOT. DO. THIS. That man is crazy and very busy. So I guess if you're in a rush it is effective.


3) While the eggs scramble- Prep the ring!

     Lay out the crescent rolls on a sprayed or non-stick baking pan. Make sure to overlap them. This will help keep all the ingredients inside. 

4) Chop the bacon and place it on the ring.

     You don't have to chop the bacon, but if you've ever eaten turkey bacon you know that it's a little chewy. If you chop it ahead of time it'll be easier to eat. Just a little F.Y.I.


5)When the eggs are done add them evenly around the ring

6) Top with .5 a cup of shredded cheese. 

     Many schools of thought are "more cheese = better" and I tend to agree. This was enough cheese for us. I actually used the extra cheese as a topper on the completed ring but in hindsight I prefer the melted cheese inside better. To each his own.

7) Pull the points in to create the ring.


8) Bake according to directions (10-12 minutes)



WHAT ELSE CAN I DO WITH THESE INGREDIENTS?



One ring to rule them all! Shout out to the dorks...
Most of these ingredients are pretty simple but for the turkey bacon if you have to buy it in bulk you can use them not just for breakfast but also for sandwiches. You can also cook and chop them to create a topper for baked potatoes or whatever you want. I mean, it's bacon.




WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW

This is delicious. I only had two pieces but Husband ate THE REST OF THE RING. In one sitting. It's that good. He did add Sriracha because he adds that to anything he eats containing meat. If you're going to be serving to a bigger group you can easily double this although keep in mind that the bulk of the calories are coming from those oh-so tasty crescent rolls. So enjoy this delicious, better breakfast.

XO,
Andrea



2 comments:

  1. is it sad that this was one of your first blog entries i clicked on cos it said "one ring to rule them all" .... -_-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Not sad at all. I was hoping little nerds like yourself would appreciate it! Haha! Miss you Rina!

      Delete