Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Lazy Cheaper Skinny Bang Bang Shrimp

I can't believe I'm about to write my first recipe that includes a positive note about mayonnaise, but that's what's about to happen.

I am a long time mayo hater. To the core. Back when the internet was invented (did it exist before you found it?) I even found a website called nomayo.com. The site no longer exists but the underground world of mayo haters is alive and kicking.
Even this precious bear has strong feelings about mayo!
I don't know why but the thought of mayonnaise has always just made my skin crawl and I assume it's because of some childhood trauma. Maybe it's because supermarket sandwich trays always assume that you want each little triangle covered in mayo. Nay, I say. Some of us consider ourselves to be mustard loyalists.


As I've gotten older I don't mind mayo as much anymore. By "mind" I mean if it's an ingredient and isn't overwhelmingly in my nostrils or taste buds I can handle it for the most part but I'm not about to douse a slice of innocent bread in it.

A few months before we moved from Louisiana, Husband and I started spending our Friday evenings at Bonefish Grill. The pearl of the Bonefish oyster is none other than their Bang Bang Shrimp. The sauce is amazing and if you've ever had it you understand why we would go back week after week and order the same thing. Bangin' indeed.


Due to the beauty of Pinterest I discovered some sweet angel made a copy cat recipe called Skinny Bang Bang Shrimp. Her recipe is indeed skinny. It's also fancy. Fancy here is defined as "jumbo shrimp on skewers." I guess I do have the time to cook shrimp on sticks, but I'm not going to. Thus a new recipe was born out of sheer laziness...


Lazy Cheaper Skinny Bang Bang Shrimp. Ya welcome!

Serves: 2
Time: Barely 30 minutes
Per Serving Stats:
   Calories - 301
   Carbs- 12g
   Fat- 7g
 

WHAT YOU NEED
Light Mayo (2.5 tbsp)
Scallions -also called green onions by less fancy people (2 tbsp)
Sweet Chili Sauce (1.5 tbsp)
Sriracha (.5 tbsp)
Frozen Tiny Shrimp (16 oz. or about two cups)
Romaine lettuce


Why am I not using her suggested 40 large shrimp? While that is perfect for skewers, this version is more of a salad. Also the little nugget shrimp are cheaper. You get more for your money and if you're making this for more than two people then you will appreciate that you can get a big bag and just double the sauce.


WHAT YOU DO

-First cook those nuggety little shrimps in a skillet with light oil. They'll turn a pink color.

-Mix the scallions, mayo, chili sauce, and sriracha in a bowl. I did not measure the scallions cause who has time for that? I just cut enough to satisfy me. They are low cal so probably won't break anyone's calorie counters.

-When the shrimp are finished, drain them and then dump them in the mixture bowl. Stir until they are covered.

-Serve over lettuce.


WHAT ELSE CAN I DO WITH THESE INGREDIENTS?

My biggest gripe with most recipes is that you sometimes have to buy big bottles or packages of something for such a little amount. I never know what to do with the extras. Here's what you can do with the rest of some of the less common ingredients.

Scallions-  Put them on anything. I think they work best in Asian-style soups/dishes.

Sweet Chili Sauce-  I will literally eat this over rice. By itself. It's heaven.

Sriracha- For you brave souls like Husband you can put it on anything. He mixes it with his mayo and eats it on sandwiches. Whatever floats your boat!




WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW

This will not replace the amazingness of Bang Bang Shrimp, believe me. At first this was a disappointing realization but considering how low calorie this substitute is, I think it's worthy of remembering and saving. That being said, the sauce is a lot thinner than you would expect to find in a restaurant. Overall I'd give this a thumbs up and think it would make a really easy make-ahead, sandwich replacing lunch. 


XO,
Andrea


2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't know the greatness that is bang bang shrimp becaus me when we tried to go there the hostess ignored us & when she finally acknowledged us she told us there was a 30 min. wait while we could see the empty dining room. Dean put the kabosh on waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yes we would go AS SOON AS I GOT off work on Fridays during Lent. Sometimes we had to sit and eat in the bar area but yeah..it gets wild in Bonefish!

    ReplyDelete