Thursday, September 27, 2012

Work It! - Review of Daily Workouts FREE

Thursday nights are always an interesting night for me. I know that I'm going to be weighing in Friday morning and for this reason I'm always looking for a little bit extra of a workout on Thursday nights.

You can never have too many fitness apps!
I live about 100 yards from my gym (one of the few beauties of apartment living) but sometimes those 100 yards can seem like 100 miles. Thinking about being a human mouse on the treadmill doesn't always appeal to me and I certainly don't want to do it next to a woman in matching workout top and pants wearing more makeup than I wear in a week. Seriously, how does she not have skin problems? 

This is why I'm always looking for something I can do by myself in my apartment. Workout videos can be great but I have workout A.D.D. and if I've done it several times I already know the little quips the leader says to the followers in the background. 

Tonight I'm going to review an iPhone app. Boom!

The name of the app is Daily Workouts FREE. There are a lot of workouts that you can find for free in the app store. Actually, the developer of this workout even has apps for specific parts of the body. I downloaded their Yoga Free app prior to this and quickly realized I have no patience for finding my inner peace. Their apps are all free and for a small fee you can upgrade for more features. The one I'm reviewing has all the things you need without the upgrades. Also, I'm the kind of person who doesn't pay for 99 cent apps so let's talk about the FREE because I am still in Los Angeles and I still believe it is Spanish for "expensive." 

Once in the app you can select what kind of workout from abs, arm, butt, cardio, leg and full body. I always do the full body. Once you select an area you get to select time. This is the whole reason I'm reviewing this app. You can pick 10, 15, 20, 25, or 30 minute long workouts. Who doesn't have 10 minutes? And the workout you get may repeat moves you've seen before, but it's not the same order and usually you get a new move every now and then. 

Screen shot the app
You get a little countdown and a video of a woman showing you how to do the pose. Not a stick figure or drawing...A REAL PERSON. Moving. So helpful. The workouts move quickly like circuit training so it keeps you on your toes and keeps you moving. I have never done this and NOT finished with sweat even when just doing 10 minutes. 

My complaints: The circuit time can feel like an eternity when doing some of the workouts that are less than pleasant. Who wants to plank? Not this girl. Who wants to do a froggy glute lift? I can't even do it. But this one complaint isn't enough to take away the freedom that comes with this free app. 

Additionally you really need a mat or a carpet in order to do this workout comfortably. It also helps to have hand weights since occasionally you get a move that requires weights. If you don't have any you can improvise.

Overall I'd say the Daily Workouts FREE app is worth the time it takes to download. You can't beat free!

XO, Andrea

1 comment:

  1. Planks & froggy stuff is all the rage in yoglates. One of our teachers says a bag of flour in a ziploc bag is the cheapest weight you can buy!

    ReplyDelete