Monday, October 1, 2012

Tilapia & Rotel. A Marriage made in Lazy Girl Heaven

Since October is my second favorite month, I'm going to start it on the right foot!


 This recipe is one of my favorite go-to recipes when you know that the evening will end with dessert. Hopefully you aren't thinking to yourself, "this girl plans her dinner around her dessert?" But if you are thinking that the answer is yes, I would plan my whole life around dessert. Judge away!

Two Ingredients. One piece of amazing.
It really doesn't get easier. It's only two ingredients. It's crazy cheap (this particular day I spent $1.03/serving).


We never, ever have leftovers. This is partially due to the fact that we usually eat this with veggies and have 2 filets a piece but also because it is SUPER delicious. I love it and I'm not a fish person. Yes I did grow up around the greatest seafood in the world. Don't argue. It's a fact. Truth be told, I really only love my personal trifecta of seafood: shrimp, crawfish and scallops. Maybe it's because the idea of a "fish stick" disturbs me. What part of the fish are you making into a stick? But I digress...






Also, I want you to know I even went to The Grammarist to verify whether it was filet or fillet. It's important to know! So without further ado... the mother of all tilapia recipes!!! 






Tilapia + Rotel 

Servings: 4-5 
Time: About 45 minutes
Per Serving Stats:
Calories - 116
Carbs - 3g
Fat - 3g

WHAT YOU NEED

Tilapia Filets 
Rotel

How do you get cheaper than rotel? Somehow Great Value at Walmart has done it and I'm here to tell you it tastes exactly like rotel. I tasted no difference whatsoever. Also, when you purchase frozen tilapia they usually have 4 bigger filets or 5 filets with 2 of them being little nuggets. It's the luck of the draw my friend but it all evens out.




WHAT YOU DO


-Defrost tilapia.

-Preheat oven to 350.


-Mix rotel in a bowl with seasonings of your choice.
Cheaper Rotel. Prepping the fish. Precious Pouches!

     I throw in whatever I feel like because you really can't mess this up. On this particular day I used cumin, red pepper, garlic powder, cilantro and some scallions I had leftover from Lazy, Cheaper Skinny Bang Bang Shrimp. Like I said, you cannot mess this up. For those inquiring minds cilantro IS the best so at the bare minimum you should definitely use it.


-Cut foil pieces big enough to hold the tilapia and create a little pouch

-Place the foil on a baking sheet and place the tilapia in the foil. Cover with rotel. I try not to add all the juice only because it's messy but whatever you want to do just do it. The kitchen police aren't going to show up.

-Wrap the tilapia into it's precious little foil pouch.

-Bake for 30 minutes. 


    

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO WITH THESE INGREDIENTS?


You probably won't have leftovers of either ingredient because you use it all. Yay! It's tilapia so there are a ridiculous amount of recipes out there and rotel is famous for making ordinary cheese amazing.



WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW

It's good. It's cheap. It's low calorie. It's easy. Is there anything else you need to know?


XO, Andrea

4 comments:

  1. I must try this! It actually sounds like something I could do & taste good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT! It is so easy and so cheap and we really do eat it like every other week.

      Delete
  2. I wonder how chicken would be instead

    ReplyDelete