Monday, October 22, 2012

Workout Reboot: Ease into 5K

Last week and the subsequent weekend was amazing. One night in Vegas was just enough time to see my sister, bro-in-law, and friends. It was wonderful, exciting and glittery. We will definitely be going back.

Yet, as I return back to my efforts at a lifestyle change I can't help but feel...uninspired. And here comes a little dose of too much talk:

I need a workout REBOOT!

I don't know what will work. What I do know is that I'm not going to sit on this blog all day every day and pretend to the four of you that read this (hi mom!) that it's all sunshine and roses. I feel bored, like a little hamster on a treadmill. 
App Screen Shot (via Ease into 5k)

In the interest of honesty I think it's important to note that being surrounded in a city of health nuts doesn't a health nut make. 

SO...This morning I am restarting Ease into 5K, a workout I've attempted a few times and completed at least once. 

I wish I loved working out.
I wish I enjoyed changing my clothes into workout clothes.
I wish I enjoyed sweating.
I wish I personally understood what the hell Elle Woods was talking about in "Legally Blonde" about the euphoria of endorphins. 

But I don't. And maybe you don't either.
Just because you don't LOVE to workout doesn't mean you can't ever meet your personal fitness goals OR that you won't ever love working out. 

I stopped running because my 27 year old knees started to sound like they belonged to an old lady. 

But I can JOG into a 5K, can't I?

Of course. Who cares how fast I'm moving. All I care about is MOVING!


Easy Peasy Ease into 5K
I believe in Ease into 5K (the artist formerly known as Couch to 5K). I watched it turn many a friend into a LEGIT runner. Like signing up for 5Ks legit. 

If you don't know how it works then you've missed a big memo on interval training.

Ease into 5K is a program/app/way of life that takes people who have never run before and "eases" them into it with an 8 week program. You run 3x a week with a plan of run-walk-run-walk where each week the running time gets a little bit longer. 

It works. 
It doesn't matter what you think. 
If you are huffing and puffing one week while running for only 90 seconds you will still be able to make it a whole 8 minutes and then eventually 30.


So today I take the first step, again, out the door and down the road. Blasting Kanye, who I know writes all his songs in the gym, and hopefully beating the midday socal heat. Wish me luck. Reboot and restart is always, ALWAYS better than REGRETS.

Happy Monday!

Andrea


8 comments:

  1. I'd join you for sure if I weren't doing the Galloway app. Listen I HATE everything about working out. The endorphins don't last long. I have to force myself to get up early and work out. I wear big tshirts and capris and look like crap. I don't have the motivation to get pretty to work out.

    But each day that I do it, while I hate it before, I actually like it during and am really happy after. Until mid-day when I'm dead and hurting. hahahah!

    I think that program is excellent for you. You should sign up for a 5k because that will keep you doing the program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy!

      When I finished it the first time it was during the summer before I got married in the blazing Louisiana heat and we ran in the middle of the day! I know I can finish it, this time I'm just not going to care about how fast I'm moving. At all. Just a jog will suffice! I should finish around Christmas time so maybe there is a Christmas 5K around here!

      The sad thing is when I meet people who love to workout I'm such a skeptic I think they are lying more to themselves than to me. That's probably just the jealousy talking! Hahaha!

      Delete
    2. Girl I give the side eye ALL THE TIME to these freak health nuts. hahahaha! The cynic in me can't help it. Or is it the lazy in me?....

      Delete
  2. I love the app! It's amazing how well it knows you. I don't love working out but when I'm finished I love how I feel & I totally get what Elle's talking about. The hardest part for me is remembering that feeling at 4:45 am when I get up to work out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I could remember ANYTHING at 4:45 in the morning. Props to you!

      Delete
    2. It's not easy but it's great when I'm done!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete