Friday, October 5, 2012

Accidental Taco Soup. A Slow Cooker Miracle!


Nope. No post yesterday. I was doing so well, wasn't I? It's been a strange week. I haven't been feeling 110% percent. Still looking for something to do with my time (apparently blogging about your health is NOT a viable career). Also, I have been a little obsessive about the dog since the incident chronicled in the post: Dog Pounds.

Not to mention my mother-in-law will be in town this weekend coming back from an extended stay in the Philippines AND it's her birthday AND two of my nieces are getting their black belts. I have some very special, very high calorie desserts planned for this weekend. Definitely more Cajun than California. So clearly I am happily, joyously busy! I've had this weekend in the planner for a while!


Before I get into the sweet of the weekend, here's a little savory.

Preface: I was not trying to make soup, thus the name Accidental Taco Soup. I was TRYING to make seasoned chicken that I would then put in a tortilla and eat with said cheese and sour cream. In my wild imagination the slow cooker KNOWS what I'm trying to do when I turn it on and I just throw things in there willy nilly. That's the truth. Once I discovered the slow cooker I just went wild. The result is that sometimes I end up with a crock pot full-a-crazy OR amazing awesomeness...


Accidental Taco Soup

Servings: 4 
Time: Prep 5 minutes. 4 hours in the slow cooker on high or 6-8 low.

Bowl-Fulla-Awesome
Per Serving Stats: 
(depends on how much chicken you use AND does not include sour cream or cheese)

Calories - 210
Carbs - 36g
Fat - 15g


WHAT YOU NEED

Frozen Chicken Breasts
Taco seasoning packet
Salsa (1 cup)

And if you like:
Shredded Cheese
Light Sour Cream

Some people weigh their chicken breasts. I just look at them and know, ya know? I put in 4 big ones or 5 little ones. There are low sodium taco seasoning packets out there. Get them!


WHAT YOU DO

-Spray the inside of your slow cooker for easy clean up.


-Place the frozen chicken in the crock pot and cover with a cup of salsa.

-Mix separately 2/3 c of water with your taco seasoning and then add to the slow cooker.

-Walk away

-Periodically check on the chicken and start cutting it with a metal spoon while it's in the slow cooker.

-Serve in a bowl with shredded cheese and sour cream if you like!

 

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO WITH THESE INGREDIENTS?
There are no specialty ingredients here. Yay!

WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
It's delightful. Easy. And in case you missed it pretty high in the carbs and kinda high in the fat. But also cheap! Three out of five ain't bad right? 




XO Andrea

2 comments:

  1. Did you know you can but these things called crock pot liners? I didn't until recently & they're the shit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen those! Haven't tried them yet. Wasn't sure it was worth it but now I know. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete